Sunday, December 12, 2010

7 days and counting...

On December 20 I'll take an overnight flight to San Juan from Boston for an eleven-day running trip across Puerto Rico. I've never done something like this before, but given how my running career has taken off this year it is no surprise I'm going for it. Making the final preparations I'm surprised by how the trip is shaping up – and a little worried about how its going to go. When I first looked into running across Puerto Rico it seemed reasonable to expect to run an average of fifteen miles per day, however it turns out that hotels in PR aren't so evenly distributed and I'll have to run an average of twenty-five miles a day if I want to sleep in a bed that night. It also turns out the roads aren't as straight as they looked on Google maps. I'm wondering how my body and mind will do...

The run starts upon arrival at the airport in San Juan. I'll run west before turning south and later east, covering much of the island in a series of point-to-point runs. (I will not be running across the more heavily populated east coast.) My itinerary has me running just under 250 miles over ten stages. The longest leg is forty miles, but if I hold up to the end (and am not disgusted by running) I'll try to combine the last two runs (of 32 and 19 miles), and cross from the south coast of the island to the north and arrive in San Juan a day early, tour the city on December 31, and find a great News Year's party to celebrate the end of a remarkable year of running "firsts".

7 days and counting to Toes Down time!

1 comment: